A young financial advisor sat at his desk beneath the North Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC). It was on a beautiful Tuesday morning, and he sat facing the window. He took a sip out of his latte coffee and a big bite out of his doughnut. BOOM! A plane crashed into the North Tower and it was all over.
How has islamophobia changed since 9/11? “I was afraid to go outside. If I stayed inside, I couldn’t be mess up, except maybe with my words which I policed carefully. I couldn’t speed, I couldn’t frighten anyone, I couldn’t break any law – no matter how tenuous – and therefore couldn’t be thrown into Gitmo” those were the words of Shawna Ayoub Ainslie as her experience after 9/11.
What Other Ways Has Islamophobia Changed Following 9/11?
- According to the FBI statistics, islamophobia attack and hate have increased five times compared to before the 9/11 attack by Al Qaeda in multiple locations on the United States soil. As of 2015, there was a 65% increase in attacks on Muslims in Europe.
- Before the 9/11 attack, Anti-Muslim crimes were the second least reported. But after 9/11, it became the second most reported.
- Less than a month after the 9/11 attack, the United States started an attack against Afghanistan and signed the PATRIOT ACT into law. The patriot act gave the U.S. government power to search all individual private records and detain those suspected of terrorism.
- The U.S. opened GITMO in Guantanamo Bay. The sole purpose of GITMO is for imprisoning individuals, suspected of having ties to terrorism or those who show terror tendencies.
What Was The Timeline of The 9/11 Terror Attack?
The Al Qaeda terrorists struck in multiple locations on Tuesday 11th of September in the morning. It is indeed an unforgettable day that will never be forgotten in the world history.
- At 7:59 am, Al Qaeda terrorist hijacked a Boeing 767 with ninety-two passengers and crew members aboard. The plane belongs to American airline and it took off from Boston’s Logan international airport and was heading to Los Angeles.
- At 8:14 am, another plane was hijacked belonging to United Airline. It was also a Boeing 767 and it had sixty- five people aboard that plane, the plane was flying from Boston to Los Angeles too.
- 8:20 am, American airline flight that took off from Dulles International Airport just outside of Washington D.C. was hijacked. It was a Boeing 757 and it had 64 people on board that fateful day.
- At 8:41 am, the last plane to be hijacked took off from Newark International Airport. It had forty-four passengers and crew members on board. The plane was scheduled to fly to San Francisco but it never reached its destination.
- At 8:46 am, one of the hijacked planes crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center and another crashed into the South Tower at 9:03 am.
- At 9:37 am, another hijacked plane crashed into the Pentagon killing everyone aboard that flight, and also hundreds of people on the ground. Passengers aboard the last hijacked planes on receiving information from their relatives about the coordinated attacks attempted to take control of the plane from the terrorists but failed. The plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania at 10:07 am, killing everyone aboard.
Have There Been Islamophobia Attacks in Recent Time?
The most gruesome islamophobia attack in recent times was in New Zealand in March 2019. About 50 people were killed in this attack on a Friday while Muslims were observing their Jumat prayer.
- August 2017 in Spain, mosques in Granada, Fuenlabrada, and Seville were firebombed and desecrated and a Muslim woman was injured in front of Madrid Metro.
- June 2017 in London, a 48-year-old man drove a fan into a group of Muslim worshippers who just came out of the mosque after their Isha’a prayers. A 51-year-old man was killed and nine people were injured in this attack.
What You Should Know About Al Qaeda?
Al Qaeda which means “the base” is a militant terrorist multinational group. It was founded by Osama Bin Laden and a couple of other people in 1988. It was founded in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
- Their ideology includes Jihadism, Pan Islamism, anti-communism, antizionism, and antisemitism. The Al Qaeda terrorist group carried out the coordinated attack on U.S. soil as a means of avenging the decades of mistreatment suffered by the Arabs in the hands of the West.
- Since the demise of Osama Bin Laden during the U.S. invasion of his hideout in 2011, Ayman Al-Zawahiri has taken charge of the group.
- Some of the battles the Al Qaeda have taken part in include: Afghan civil war which lasted from 1996 to 2001, the Yemeni civil war from 2015 till date, Iraq war and Somalia civil war to mention a few.
The coordinated Al Qaeda attack on the United States soil, killed over 3000 people on the ground while all passengers aboard in the hijacked aircraft lost their lives in this attack. 44 out of the total number killed in the incident were Muslims.
The casualties of the 9/11 attack are not just the dead and the injured. The largest number comes from families and friends of the victims of this gruesome attack. Those whose loved ones were forever wretched from them.